On-Campus Employment Resources

On-Campus Student Employment Presentation


A student may be able to work on-campus in one or more positions that are paid by Iowa State University. During the Fall and Spring semesters, students are allowed to work up to a maximum of 20 total hours per week. During semester breaks, students are allowed to work over 20 hours per week. Recognized semester breaks include: Winter break, Thanksgiving/Fall break, Spring break, and Summer break. 

Duration of Employment

Earliest date to start work

  • The earliest students can start working on-campus at ISU is 30 days before the start of classes of their first semester.

Latest date to end work

  • The latest students can end working on-campus at ISU is no later than the program completion date on their I-20 or the day their SEVIS record is terminated, whichever comes first.

On-Campus Form I-9 Employment Authorization

Students must complete Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) with ISSO on or before the first day of on-campus employment. To complete a Form I-9 with ISSO, please follow the steps below after receiving a job offer for an on-campus position.

Step 1: Submit Form I-9 on Workday.

  • Form I-9 Section 1 must be submitted on or before your first day of employment. Do not start employment responsibilities until you have submitted I-9 Section 1 on Workday. If you do not have access to Workday or Form I-9, contact your hiring department on campus.
  • Those in F-1 status can enter the Program End Date on their Form I-20 in Option 4 “alien authorized to work until”.

Step 2: Schedule an in-person I-9 appointment

  • Students can schedule a Form I-9 appointment by emailing Anna Powell (anna17@iastate.edu) in the ISSO Employment Unit. 

Step 3: Attend an in-person Form I-9 appointment at the ISSO to finalize your on-campus work authorization.

  • Bring the following original documents to your Form I-9 appointment:
    • Offer Letter (hourly positions, e.g., ISU Dining) OR Letter of Intent (graduate assistant positions) (only required if you need to apply for the U.S. Social Security Number)
    • Unexpired passport with a current U.S. visa stamp
    • Expired passport(s) with other U.S. visa stamps (e.g., F-1/F-2, J-1/J-2, B-1/B-2, etc.) (if any)
    • Signed I-20 from Iowa State University or unexpired DS-2019
    • Previous I-20s/DS-2019s from other schools or J-1 sponsors (if any)
    • Most recent I-94 Record
    • Dependents’ (F-2/J-2) documents (passport, I-20/DS-2019, I-94) (if any)
    • Additional U.S. immigration documents (e.g., I-797 USCIS Approval Notice/Receipt Notice, Change of Status documents, proof of other status) (if any)
    • You will receive information and required documents to apply for U.S. Social Security Number, if needed, during the Form I-9 appointment.

Finding On-campus Jobs

The Student Job Board offers a way for all students to search for on-campus jobs in AccessPlus that employers have posted. The positions posted on the job board are typically part-time positions and not internship based.