Iowa Tax Filing

For State of Iowa tax purposes, international students and scholars who live and study in Iowa are generally considered residents of Iowa. If you had income from both Iowa and another U.S. State during 2023, you must complete Form IA1040 as well as Form IA126. You may also want to choose “married filing separately” if you and your spouse both worked during 2023. Choosing this option may reduce the amount of Iowa tax your family must pay.  We have provided a link to the calculating version of the 2023 Iowa tax form on the Iowa Tax Information page.  (Please note:  This form must be downloaded and opened in Adobe.) 

The filing deadline for 2023 Iowa tax returns is April 30, 2024.

For more detailed information on State of Iowa tax filing, see our Iowa Tax Information webpage.

Other State Tax Filing

All but nine (Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming) of the 50 U.S. States have income tax return requirements.

If you worked in a U.S. State other than Iowa during 2023 you can find tax forms for those States that require a tax return here.

If you worked in more than one U.S. State during 2023, special part-year resident rules apply for each State that has an income tax. Carefully read and follow the instructions for part-year residents on both States’ tax forms.

Disclaimer: The resources on this page were prepared by the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) as general guidelines to assist you in preparing your Iowa and federal government income tax returns. The information here is not to be construed as professional tax advice and does not apply to every situation. If your tax circumstances are more complicated (for example, if you had income from both Iowa and another U.S. State) you will want to obtain professional tax advice from resources in the community.