What is U ST 110?
U ST 110 International First Year Seminar focuses on the transition to college in the U.S., available Iowa State University resources, American culture, and student personal development. The course material is presented through presentations facilitated by guests from various ISU departments and organizations. During class, Student Leaders will facilitate discussions, in-class activities, and learning experiences.
What is the purpose of U ST 110?
The purpose of this course is to create an intentional space for new (freshmen) international students, where:
- Students will learn about academic resources, available student services, and social opportunities on campus that will provide students with beneficial advantages to increase the likelihood of success as undergraduate students at ISU.
- Students will be able to identify and persist through transitional challenges they may encounter upon arriving in the U.S.
What are the learning outcomes of U ST 110?
By the end of the semester, the International First-Year Seminar aims to:
- Connect students to campus resources and peers
- Serve as a platform for students to ask questions in a welcoming environment
- Help students build a foundation for a successful academic career
- Allow students to gain a better understanding of laws and cultural norms in the U.S.
U ST 110 Exemption
University Studies 110 is a mandatory course for all incoming undergraduate international students; and is highly recommended to be completed within the first semester at Iowa State University. The class focuses on the topics that are important and useful for international students transitioning to living in the U.S. and attending ISU. Some students may be exempted from taking the course or be eligible for a waiver from taking the course.
In order to be exempt from U ST 110, a student must be able to demonstrate that they have met all of the learning objectives through either:
- Transferring in 24 or more credits from a U.S. university (credits must have been taken in the U.S.)
- Graduating from a high school in the U.S.
If you meet the criteria, you are exempt. It should be removed from your degree audit automatically, but in a situation where you still see it appear, please complete the following:
- Login to CyStart
- Navigate to the tab “Student Services” and complete the IFYS Waiver Form
- Attach proof of your exemption to the form (example: transcript from the U.S. college or university where you are transferring at least 24 credits or diploma from a U.S. high school.)
If the IFYS Waiver Form does not show up for you in CyStart, send your proof of exemption to Jenna Haffner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact us at email@example.com.